Seamstresses and tailors are becoming an extinct species. Nowadays sewing is just a hobby. I am fortunate to know and love this craft which once was a life skill. I can sew from scratch or alter clothes at a reasonable price. In general, custom made clothes are more expensive that ready-to-wear. But… you will own a garment which will be unique and well fitted to you, plus nothing beats a hand made item!
I sew part time from my home and I offer the following services:
- Clothes for women, men, babies, and children–fabric diapers, poppy nursing pillows, bibs, stuffed toys, sleep wear, lingerie, shirts, blouses, pants, jackets, suits, dresses, boxers, vests, skirts, shorts, costumes, christening gowns.
- Wedding apparel–Simple wedding and evening gowns, flower girl dresses.
- Alterations–replace linings, replace zippers, shorten/lengthen hems, narrow/widen seams, do fittings, fit wedding apparel.
- Home accessories–pillows, pillow cases, linens, bed skirts, duvet covers, drapes, curtains, shower curtains, table runners, pot holders, tea towels, crochet blankets, embroidered tablecloths, aprons, small quilting items, baby crib linens, light upholstery etc.
- Pet accessories–dog beds, cat beds, collars and others.
- Accessories–fabric belts, handbags, cosmetic bags, jewelry rolls, scarves, men’s ties, handkerchiefs, Christmas stockings, fabric gift bags etc.
- Uniforms, face cradles, bed linens, duvet covers, and other items for medical professionals, hospitals, military, hotels, and businesses.
- Mending–holes, ripped seams, torn spots, missing buttons, and hooks etc.
- Needle work/Crochet—hand embroidered/crocheted blankets, doilies, tablecloths, table runners etc.
- Sewing lessons–for adults and children 10 years or older ($15 per hour). For the same price, I can help you with your sewing project or fitting, if you have “hit the wall”.
My prices for both alterations and custom made clothes depend on the complexity of the pattern/design, the quality of the fabric, and the urgency of sewing it. For example, hemming a two layer silk skirt is more expensive than hemming a twill pencil skirt with lining. An alteration that you want done in two days instead of four will cost you extra because it will be a rush job. Please check my price list for reference.
What to Expect from Me
- For alterations, most likely, you will need a fitting. For custom made clothes, you will need at least three fittings. When fitting bodices, ladies need to wear their bra. When fitting/hemming dresses, skirts, and pants, you need to wear shoes and/or waist belt. A fitting is the time when you tell me what to change. After the garment is sewn, it will be too late. For example, if the skirt I just sewed for you is knee length, and you actually wanted it shorter, I will charge you for shortening it because it will be an alteration that requires extra time to do. So please speak up during the fitting.
- For sewing wedding and formal apparel from scratch, I need at least six months notice in advance.
- For custom made clothes, you need to provide all the materials (fabric, lining, zipper, buttons, matching thread, pattern etc). I will charge you for any materials/notions that I will have to buy for you.
- Before you bring me your fabric, you may need to launder it to prevent shrinkage after sewing construction. For example, cotton and twill will most likely shrink. Do not launder linen, silk, and wool.
Please contact me with details of your sewing project at firstname.lastname@example.org or call/text me at 229-444-8810. By appointment only.